1. Save the Date: Teacher Reading Night on November 11
2. PTA General Membership Meeting on November 11
4. Calling All Wayside Chefs and Bakers, Big and Small!
5. Spirit Night at Gregorio’s on November 17!
6. Liaison Needed to MCCPTA Gifted Child Committee
7. Where’s My School Directory?
8. Hoover Theatre Interest Meeting November 5
9. Free National Parks Year Passes for 4th and 5th Graders
10. It Takes A Village
11. Share Your Halloween Photos
1. Save the Date: Teacher Reading Night on November 11Join us on Wednesday, November 11 for Teacher Reading Night, when Wayside teachers and staff will read some favorite bedtime stories! This is always a highlight of our annual Scholastic Book Fair, which will be online this year November 6-19.
2. PTA General Membership Meeting on November 11Our PTA bylaws require us to have four PTA general membership meetings per year, and our first one will be on November 11 at the beginning of the Teacher Reading Night. We’ll keep it brief, and give highlights of what the PTA is planning this school year.
3. Spirit Night at Gregorio’s on November 17!Come to the first Spirit Night of the school year at Gregorio’s at Cabin John Mall! On November 17, enjoy delicious Italian food and/ pizza for carry out or dine in. Mention “Wayside” when placing your order and 10% of proceeds will be donated to the PTA to support programs that directly benefit our kids.
4. ReflectionsFor more than 50 years, National PTA has celebrated the imagination and creativity of students through the Reflections program. Reflections is a unique arts-in-education effort as it engages all students, including two age groups for elementary schools: Primary for K through grade 2, and Intermediate for grade 3 through grade 5. The 2020-2021 theme is
I Matter Because…
There are six categories for this friendly competition, and participants can enter in more than one category.
1) Dance Choreography
2) Film Production
4) Music Composition
6) Visual Art
There is also a division for the Special Artists.
This program runs virtually across Maryland this year.
Art, along with the entry form must be received by Edith Deng (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before November 30th, 2020.
5. Calling All Wayside Chefs and Bakers, Big and Small!We are collecting recipes to create a cookbook of Wayside’s favorite dishes. If you would like to be included in this special project, email the following information to email@example.com:
- Name of dish
- Name of contributing student or family
- Country of origin
- Number of servings
- Special notes/story
- Photo (png or jpg file) of your child or family creating the dish or posing with final product or have your child draw a picture of the dish to accompany the recipe if you would like
We can’t wait to see what our Wayside community is eating!
6. Liaison Needed to MCCPTA Gifted Child CommitteeThe Wayside PTA is looking for a volunteer to serve as its Gifted & Talented Liaison for the 2020-2021 school year. The GT Liaison plays a vital role in advocating for the needs of highly able learners by providing a critical link between the school community, the MCCPTA Gifted Child Committee, and MCPS. The time commitment is minimal and flexible. No prior experience is needed for the role, just a desire to support this unique community of learners. If you are interested or want to learn more, please contact Jennifer Nordin,
Wayside PTA President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Where’s My School Directory?Didn’t pick up your school directory last week? Email email@example.com
to get your copy.
8. Hoover Theatre Interest Meeting November 5Herbert Hoover Theatre is excited to announce the Spring Musical…Wizard of Oz! Participation is open to Kindergarten through 12th grade, with SSL opportunities for middle and high school students. A Parent & Student Interest Meeting will be held virtually on Thursday, November 5 at 6:30 p.m. Join the meeting at: tinyurl.com/
9. Free National Parks Year Passes for 4th and 5th GradersEvery year the Department of Interior offers year-long free National Parks passes to 4th graders. This year it has been extended to 5th graders who may have missed out due to COVID. Download your free pass here.
10. It Takes A VillageWe had a whole lot of PTA volunteers helping out this week…. A special thanks to Melissa Adler, Kirsten Carr, and Kristin Silbowitz for organizing 500 Halloween goodie bags! Hats off to Marianne Beardall who arranged a special treat for 85 Wayside teachers and staff! A round of applause for our Membership Chair, Winnie Lee, and our Directory Chair, Robin Gerchick, for their hard work this fall! We are also grateful to Wayside staff for their help in handing out the Halloween bags and school directories.
11. Share Your Halloween PhotosDo you have Halloween photos to share of your children? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll include them on the Wayside PTA Facebook page.